How can I win a healthy winter in Spain or emigrate to Spain? You are probably one of the many Dutch people who are currently walking around with the idea of emigrating to Spain or for wintering and wondering how healthcare is regulated in Spain.

Healthcare in Spain

Healthcare can be a threshold for emigration to Spain, especially if you are ill or needy, but in general, healthcare in Spain is at least as good as in the Netherlands. Because in Spain many things are organized differently, that is also the case in the healthcare sector. And get used to it! To assist you with this, CasaLasDunas offers you the (potential) customer the necessary information and if you choose to emigrate to Spain, Casa Las Dunas may provide guidance and mediation in healthcare. The information we provide here deals with the Following topics:

  • Healthcare in Spain in general
  • What to do in concrete situations?
  • How can I insure and then I am entitled?

Healthcare in Spain
In Spain there is a clear separation between the state health care that becomes
Offered by government and private healthcare. There are state hospitals,
State hospitals, state GPs, etc. and there are also private hospitals, private
Nursing homes, private GPs, private dentists, etc.

  1. The state health care: the Spanish health insurance fund
    If you are resident in Spain and you are registered in the population register in your place of residence (the so-called empadronamiento) you are entitled to state health care offered by the Seguridad Social. You are entitled to a GP in the GP (Centro Salud) at your place of residence and you are designated at a state hospital in your area (if you wish, you can choose a doctor from a GP in another municipality or go to a state hospital Another region). Nursing home care is also in Spain under the Seguridad Social.
  2. Private health care
    In addition to your health insurance, you can always complete a private health insurance in Spain. You are entitled to a private GP and you can go to the
    Most cases are right in a private hospital of your choice. The main advantage of private health care is that you can always approach a general practitioner who speaks Dutch or Dutch and in private hospitals you will always have an interpreter. One disadvantage is that your private insurance does not compensate medicines and you are designated for the Seguridad Social. Medical care in the Spanish hospital and private health care is of the same level. You really do not have to worry about it. The organization of the care may be different in the Spanish hospital fund: a little less service-oriented and with a little less ‘bothering and calling’.

What to do in concrete situations?
Your move to Spain
If you have decided to move to Spain, it is important to take the following actions
to undertake:

  • Inform your benefit or pension agency about your move;
  • Inform your current health insurance company when the moving date is known;
  • You will receive from College of Health Insurance (Amstelveen) Form 121. (Please note that you will also receive a Form 121 for your family members!);
  • Register in the population register of the municipality where you live in Spain;
  • Sign up for the Seguridad Social (by submitting form 121);
  • Request your health insurance pass (CIP card) at the local Centro Salud;
  • Exclude private health insurance.
  • If you do not receive a benefit or pension from the Netherlands, you do not need to inform those authorities (although it is always important that your pension fund has your current address in Spain)

Once you live permanently in Spain
If you live permanently in Spain, you should claim the services of the Seguridad Social in Spain. You may be insured with a Spanish private health insurance.
From the moment you live in Spain, your benefit or pension institution in the Netherlands will contribute to your distribution or pension. This is generally less than the premiums you have paid until then. If you do not receive a benefit or pension from the Netherlands, the Spanish sickness insurance premiums will be deducted from your Spanish salary (if you work in Spain) or Spanish benefits. Below are some concrete situations that you can claim.

You need a doctor
Then, go to your local GP (Centro Salud). In the larger municipalities it is always open (24 hours a day) and if not, you will be referred to a neighboring municipality. As in the Netherlands, your GP plays a role in referring to the hospital. You will always receive your ID card (CIP card) for identification. If your medication is prescribed, the recipe will be written for you on a green form (if you are younger than 65 years). You then pay to the pharmacist 40% of the medical costs. If you are over 65 years old, you will receive a prescription prescription on a red form. In that case, the medicines are free for you.

You will be referred to a hospital
If your GP tells you to a hospital, you must report in the
State hospital of your region. Your GP tells you which hospital it is. You sign up for that
Hospital also with your health insurance pass. Talk to your doctor if you prefer another
State hospital.

You have an emergency case
You sign up with your health insurance pass at the first aid hospital at the state hospital. If you call an ambulance, please state that you are a member of the Seguridad Social and you want to be in a state hospital. Spain has two types of ambulances: (1) the trauma ambulance with a doctor present in case of serious accidents or diseases and (2) the ambulance with
Just a driver who transports you to the hospital in a stable condition. If you are in a
Serious situation calling an ambulance, always try to overcome the seriousness of the case

You need a physiotherapist or a dentist
In Spain, a physiotherapist or dentist is not insured in the sickness fund. This means you have to pay for yourself or to complete a private health insurance.

You need home care
Since January 1, 2007, you have been entitled to home care by a state institution in Spain through the Spanish Social Insurance Fund. However, practice has not yet been set for implementation
Of the new law (La Ley de la Dependencia), which means that you may have to wait a while before you are indicated and receive home care. As in the Netherlands, there is a system of indication and urgency: people who need it most, receive the first care. Unfortunately, there is still a general capacity problem in Spain (insufficient staff available).

You must be admitted to a nursing or nursing home
In addition, you are entitled to a survey in a (state) nursing home. Care homes do not exist in Spain. It is common for you to be admitted to a nursing home only if you have no one else to care for and if you really need nursing home care. If a survey is urgent, there will always be a place for you, but you will not have an appointment at any nursing home. As with home care, you may be bothered by the fact that the Seguridad Social refers to a private nursing home because you have made arrangements. There is no possibility to insure you privately for admission to a private nursing home. For example, if you choose to take a survey in a private nursing home, you should pay all the costs.

If you live temporarily in Spain (winter)
If you only stay in Spain for a few months a year, you will be just insured
For healthcare and the AWBZ in the Netherlands (except if you are going to work in Spain).
Before you go to Spain, check your health insurance policy carefully and contact your health insurer because it is good to know what to do when you need a doctor or hospital.
Good to know that your Dutch health insurance is always entitled to private life
Health care in Spain. Ask before you go to Spain with your insurer the European Insurance Card. This ensures you care (through the Seguridad Social). A (continuous) travel insurance is certainly not an unnecessary luxury (because in some cases the Dutch health insurance company is less compensated than the costs incurred in Spain). So you always have 2 options: to a state institution or doctor (compensation based on the treaty scheme through your European Insurance Card) or to a private institution or doctor
(After-payment remuneration based on your health insurance in the Netherlands).

You need a doctor?
Go directly to a local (state) GP (Centro Salud) or visit a private GP. In most cases, it is better to visit a private doctor, for example, who speaks Dutch with you. In some – urgent cases, it is better and faster to visit the GP in your home. In case you visit a private doctor, you may have to pay the consultation. The bill you receive from this physician can in most cases be declared in the Netherlands by your health insurance company.

You are referred to a hospital?
If you are referred to a hospital, you will choose a private hospital near you.
If you only consult a specialist, you will be asked to meet the costs for that consultation immediately. Again, again, you can declare the bill you receive in the Netherlands at your health insurance company. If you need to be included, you will be asked for your insurance papers. In many cases you will be asked to pay a deposit. At the time when your health insurance company from the Netherlands has received a financial guarantee, you can claim your deposit. In that case, you will not have to pay anything for your stay at the hospital. In a limited number of cases you have entered into a health insurance in the Netherlands which, when taken abroad, reimburses the costs to you and not at the hospital. In that case, you will have to pay the cost of your admission in Spain yourself. Therefore, always be sure of what kind of insurance you have completed in the Netherlands before you go abroad and, in case of doubt, always contact your insurer to be sure what to do in case of medical care in Spain.

You have an emergency case

Here again, you need to make a decision about the speed. What hospital are you going to? Dearest to a private hospital, but if the problem is very urgent and a state hospital is closer, you’d rather go to the state hospital. In a number of cases, a prompt will also be required to pay a deposit. Fortunately, this does not apply to all private hospitals.

You need a physiotherapist or dentist
Depending on your health insurance in the Netherlands, you can charge your physiotherapist or dentist’s costs in Spain with your health insurance company in the Netherlands. Please also inform Spain about this before you leave.

You need home care
You can contact a private home care setting. This organization declares your costs at the AWBZ in the Netherlands. In the majority of cases, the Social Insurance Bank (SVB) will not include your Legal Own Contribution on your benefit or pension if you reside abroad. This will immediately be deducted from the costs reimbursed to the home care institution in Spain and you will ask your Legal Own
Contribution to meet them. You can use home care in Spain at the expense of the AWBZ.

You must be admitted to a nursing or nursing home
In this case you can turn to a private care or nursing home. The financial
In this case, handling is the same as in home care. You pay your Legal Own Contribution directly to the institution in Spain. Your stay in an intramural institution in Spain charged to the AWBZ has been maximized to 6 months.

How can I insure in Spain and what is I entitled to?

If you are not satisfied with the provisions of the sickness fund in Spain, you can have a Consider private health insurance in Spain. Understand that – if you are fromThe Netherlands receives a benefit or pension – you in addition to the premium for the Spanish private Insurance also pays a deduction on your Dutch benefit or pension. That’s double up. Right now there are legal proceedings against the Dutch government to undo this because there is a legal disability (via the Dutch Pensioners Association in Spain). Of course, closing a private health insurance in Spain also has many advantages: you can always contact a doctor who speaks your language or has an interpreter and, in general, medical care in the state and private system is right, But the service you receive as a patient in private healthcare is always much better than in state healthcare. In Spain you can choose from a large number of private health insurance companies. Many insurers offer a policy specifically for foreigners. However, read the policy terms carefully, as the benefits do not always apply to you. Álle policy conditions can be found on the website of the relevant insurer. Unfortunately, in many cases, it is only available in Spanish and does not make it easier for the amount of text. When choosing a particular health insurance company, you should consider a number of things:

  • Do you want your insurer to directly meet your clinician or hospital?
  • Do you want total freedom when choosing a hospital or doctor?
  • Do you want any waiting time for treatment?

Private health insurance companies in Spain know, like the Netherlands, roughly two types of policies, namely one (1) refund policy and one (2) natural policy. In case of a refund policy, you pay for your consultation, treatment or admission yourself and the insurer pays you back the costs incurred based on original accounts. At a natural city, your doctor, clinician or hospital immediately charges your insurer without incurring any liability.

Nearly all insurers give you the freedom to choose for a doctor, clinician or hospital. You can also opt for a so-called ‘cuadro médico’ with many insurers, ie the insurer has a contract with a number of doctors and hospitals from which you can choose. In the latter case you pay less premium!

Unfortunately, it is not possible to ensure you today and make an appointment for a treatment tomorrow. In almost all cases there is a so-called waiting time. Except in case of emergency situations of course; Then you will be helped in all cases. When choosing a private health insurance, it is advisable to compare the waiting times with each other.

In addition to the above, you are comparing price, fees, benefits and other important policy conditions. It is also important to note that no private Spanish health insurer will compensate medicines, except for the medications provided during your hospitalization. For your medicines, you can always go to the Seguridad Social, the Spanish Health Fund. This is a difficult occurrence of the insurance system in Spain. After consultation with your private doctor, you must visit your GP at the Centro Salud of your place of residence. Especially when it comes to costly drugs, this doctor will ask questions when necessary and possibly consider research in a state hospital. However, in most cases this is not necessary.

*This text has been translated temporarily by google translate